Have you signed up for the hot new class on campus? Across the country more and more colleges are recognizing the need for an education in etiquette and offering courses for their students. Despite the fact that to some it seems old fashioned, out dated, or unnecessary there are even more that are lining up in droves to get a competitive edge on their skeptical classmates as they prepare to enter the workforce.
More and more, the culture is slipping away from the standard of civility once set by generations in the past. Emily Post would be petrified. Students call teachers by their first name, the dinner table is a place to pile stuff, and no one holds the door for anyone anymore. The McGeneration that has grown up on drive thru and delivery is coming up short on class when it comes to the business of getting hired.
Emily Post’s great grandson Peter Post, who has followed in her well mannered footsteps, explains to job hunters, "Your skills can get you in the door; your people skills are what can seal the deal." Statistically only about 15 percent of success comes from technical skills while the other 85 percent comes from people skills. An employer that sees an applicant's exquisite etiquette can feel sure that if hired, they will be a responsible representative and not embarrass the company.
Taking the classes gives students the edge they need to eek out equally qualified employers. Knowing ahead of time what is appropriate can take the pressure off the situation. By paying attention to the details students interact with coworkers and clients while exhibiting confidence and class.
Most classes can be quite costly so if they are available on campus try to snatch up a seat quickly. Group rates for a 2 hour session can be upwards of $200 per person otherwise. Most who take the classes feel their worth every penny. The proper way to rest silverware and the appropriate number of pumps in a handshake are just the tip of the iceberg. These students learned everything they needed to know to feel comfortable in the corporate environment whether it’s dining, socializing, or networking.
Thinking about your next step? Check out http://www.collegejobbank.com/
By Heather Fairchild - Heather is a multimedia developer, business owner and work-from-home mom.