Cost Analyst - AccountingTitle: Cost Analyst - Accounting
Welcome to Newmont, a leading gold producer with operations on five continents. Employing approximately 34,000 employees and contractors worldwide, Newmont operates core assets in North America, South America, Australia, Indonesia, and Ghana, with new mine projects currently being developed. Newmont is committed to high standards and leadership in the areas of environmental management and health and safety for its employees and neighboring communities.
Newmont''s four mining operations in Nevada include the Carlin Trend complex - the most prolific gold field in the Western hemisphere - located 40 miles west of Elko; the Twin Creeks mine is located 15 miles north of Golconda; the Lone Tree complex near the town of Valmy; and the Phoenix and Midas mines both located near Battle Mountain. Our Nevada properties operate as an integrated unit, and together, they boast the widest variety of processing methods, including Open Pit, Underground, and Process mining.
Safety - At Newmont, the occurrence of any injury is unacceptable. The Company invests significant resources in managing safety risks as it strives to achieve an injury-free workplace.
Environmental - The Nevada sites have won numerous awards for environmental preservation, and for restoring thousands of acres of wildlife and fish habitat.
Community - Our Nevada operations contribute money and expertise to help sustain nearby communities, improve access to health care and promote education.
Newmont provides a competitive salary, a relocation package, and an outstanding employee benefit package that includes an annual incentive bonus, comprehensive medical and dental plans, a company sponsored medical clinic, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, pension plan, paid time off plan, a 401k retirement savings program, and paid holidays. This compensation package coupled with an extended mine life makes Newmont a great employment opportunity.
As a Cost Analyst - Accounting you will be required to provide timely, relevant, and accurate financial and cost accounting information in assigned area to support the successful attainment of the Nevada operating sites business objectives. Essential job duties will include:
* Responsible for cost accounting, budgeting, and forecasting in a specific operational area or function
* Account Reconciliations (general ledger accounts, bank accounts)-analyze, research, and reconcile account activity
* Prepare journal entries requiring complex computation and analysis
* Analyze and explain cost and production variances for multiple operational areas
* Interact with operations management to assist them in understanding cost variances
* Perform economic evaluation of projects
* Assist in dollarization of cost saving ideas
* Work with occasional supervision from Accounting Management
* BS and 3 years of accounting experience or six years related experience.
* Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet & database applications
* Intermediate knowledge of word-processing programs
* Intermediate knowledge of SAP financial module and Pillar/Hyperion software
* Advanced problem solving-recognizes complex patterns and relationships when analyzing information
* Understanding of accounting concepts and theory-applies GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles)
* Thorough understanding of mining terminology and operations for multiple operational areas
* Ability to interpret and communicate accounting information to accounting and operations management